Saturday, February 4, 2012

UNOS

UNOS is the acronym for the United Network for Organ Sharing. It is the entity that helps to ensure that organ donation is fair and equal and that as many people benefit as possible from donations. I encourage everyone to educate themselves on organ donation and make your wishes known to your loved ones who will be called upon to decide to donate (http://www.unos.org/index.php).

In addition to organ donation information, they have beautiful tribute pages for those who have given the gift of life through donation (http://www.donormemorial.org/).

One of the questions we have asked in regards to Alex's transplant is how we can thank the family of the individual who must pass away in order for Alex to receive a new liver and all the things that go with that. It is totally up the donor family to decide if and when they want any correspondence with us. When that time comes, I hope they do, because I would want them to see something amazing come from their tragedy.

I am writing this in part due to processing the tragic loss of someone that Alex and I used to know fairly well. Their family was generous enough to provide others with a chance at life despite their horrible loss for which there is no explanation at this time. I commend them for their bravery, compassion, and kindness. Nothing can bring back the person they loved. As someone standing on the other side of this kind of situation, I cannot pretend to know how they feel or will continue to feel. But I can speak as someone who loves an ill person who will one day benefit from someones sadness. The donor is never forgotten. Someone will get up everyday and be thankful for their life because of that donation. Someones children will have a parent, a parent will continue to have a child. And will the degree of sadness that is inevitably attached to the fact another family will have to miss out on these things ever leave? Not for me. I have no idea when we will receive Alex's new liver due to another tragedy. I do promise, however, to always appreciate it and never forget where it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment